The Tarapur Fort, with wells and gardens within, was given in gift by the Peshwa to Vikaji Mehrji, for a hundred years, and is still held by his heirs, and is currently in custody of Chorge family. it is located in Boisar village of Palghar taluka. Another beautiful site is the Chinchani beach, one and a half kilometers north of the fort. The fort was surrounded by a wall with round bastions, and, besides quarters for the garrison, it had a church, a Dominican monastery, and a hospital. in 1739, the fort was attacked by the Marathas under Chimnaji Apa. Four mines were laid, of which two succeeded in making great breaches in a bastion and curtain. inside the fort were some inferior buildings. There were besides two granaries and a guard-room, with some inferior buildings and several wells containing abundant and excellent water.
Vasai was the main naval base and sort of ship-building centre of the Portuguese. it was here in 1802 AD, the Peshwa Bajirav signed the infamous ‘Treaty of Bassein’ which virtually dissolved the Maratha Confederacy. Finally, the fort and the city of Vasai were ceded to the British in 1817 AD.